Festivals in Myanmar
- Festivals in April (Tabaung/Tagu)
- Festivals in August (Waso/Wakhaung)
- Festivals in December (Tazaungmone/Nadaw)
- Festivals in February (Pyartho/ Dabodwei)
- Festivals in January (Nadaw/Pyartho)
- Festivals in March (Dabodwei/ Tabaung)
- Festivals in May (Tagu/Kason)
- Festivals in November (Thadingyut/Tazaungmone)
- Festivals in October (Tawthalin/ Thadingyut)
- Festivals in September (Wakhaung/Tawthalin)
Myanmar New Year Festival (Country wide)
Buddha images are bathed in thanaka water as older Burmese retreat to monasteries and temples to pray.
Wesak (Buddha’s Birthday)
Celebrated by the watering of Bodhi trees at temples and monasteries around Myanmar, Wesak marks the day of the Buddha’s Enlightenment. Musical troupes accompany the stream of locals carrying pitchers on their heads.
Chinlone Festival, Mahamuni Pagoda Mandalay
The national chinlone (a local version of “keepy-uppy”) competition, attracting the country’s finest exponents.
Taungbyon Festival, north Mandalay
For eight days running up to the full moon, this small town upriver from Mandalay is transformed with an intense, hedonistic nat worship festival.
Tooth Relic Ceremony, Pyay
The culmination of three days of celebrations, the famous molar is paraded on elephant back around the riverside town of Pyay before returning to its temple for another year.